PeaceHealth Southwest Medical Center Faculty Checklist
1. Read and follow the policy as it relates to your students:
2. Send a list of student and clinical instructor names with start/end dates and department/nursing class assigned a minimum of two weeks prior to the clinical start date to: email@example.com or fax to 360.514.2170
3. Obtain a clinical instructor badge from our ID Badges & Media Center Office (next to Auditorium B in the Health Education Center) within one week prior to beginning your clinical rotation. PeaceHealth Southwest Medical Center (PHSW) requires all faculty and students to wear an identification badge from our organization. This badge will give door access in ‘caregiver’ only parts of the Medical Center campus including some hallways, elevators, unit kitchens, staff lounges and scrub machines.
The process will be as follows:
- The School of Nursing will send the completed excel spreadsheet, a copy of the completed passport and all required forms via fax to (360)514-2170 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 2 weeks prior to the beginning of the term.
- PHSW Student placement coordinators will send the names to the ID Badges & Media Center Office. They must receive the list to authorize badge distribution.
- Faculty and students will to the badging office located in the Health Education Center next to Auditorium B for photo and badge activation no sooner than one week prior to the beginning of the clinical rotation. Please bring picture identification with you. The hours are 9:00am to Noon or 2:00pm to 4:00pm Monday-Friday.
- The name badge will have your photo, first name, the term ‘clinical instructor’ and the nursing school name. Do not place any pins in the name tag as this will destroy the scanning capability.
- We will provide the first badge at no cost to you.
- Both student and faculty badges must be returned at the completion of the clinical rotation to the Education Department via the clinical instructor or school of nursing representative. The clinical instructor may keep their personal badge for the school year and return it at the completion of the spring semester or quarter. Let us know if you will be returning in the fall. We can then reissue and reactivate the same badge(s). You will pick them back up from us.
- If a badge is lost or misplaced, please contact the Education Department at (360)514-2190 immediately.
- There will be a $10.00 fee for a replacement badge.
4. Complete the online general orientation program available through StudentMax Connection at http://tcps-ocn.org/ once a year. Your school should have your password to access the nursing quiz.
5. Complete the PeaceHealth Southwest Medical Center facility specific forms, collect all the forms, and send to email@example.com or fax to 360.514.2170
6. Contact Cheryl Akin at 360.514.2764 or firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange/register for computer training for yourself and/or your students. This training is approximately 3.5 hours and will include glucose meter hands on training.
If you are bringing a cohort of students or group of students from your school in a senior experience, it is your responsibility to arrange the computer training and notify your students.
If you are placing just one student in a senior practicum experience, the student may call Stephanie Meyer themselves. Classes will be scheduled based on availability and training needs of the clinical instructors and students.
All students/clinical instructors need the computer training except those placed in the following areas:
- Cancer Center
- Cardiac Rehab
- Cardiovascular Angiography Department (CVAD)
- Cardiovascular Observation (CVO)
- Emergency Department
- Family Medicine Southwest
- Memorial Urgent Care Clinic
- Pain Clinic
- PeriOperative Services
· Fill out the Student HCI User Password Verification Statement for computer access and check the 'need HSM' box.
· This includes Surgery, PACU, Short Stay Unit (SSU), and Same Day Services-Medical (SDS). Those departments will do their own computer training.
- Ray Hickey Hospice House
· Fill out the Student HCI User Password Verification Statement for computer access but students do NOT need computer training class. · The Hospice House staff will do their own computer training.
- Wound Healing & Hyperbaric Oxygen Center
Computer training is held in the Medical Center's Physician's Building, Building B in the basement room LL 20 and must occur prior to the start of you/your student's clinical experience.
- Please do not attempt to access computers onsite for your students until computer training is completed.
- Please remind students that if they have future rotations at this facility, they must retain their username/password information.
For students who have done previous rotations at this facility:
- Resubmit Student HCI User Password Verification Statement two weeks prior to student's clinical rotation
- All username and passwords will remain unchanged from the student's last rotation
- If the student does not remember their passwords, see Username & Password Lookup Instructions for Returning Students
7. Complete the Nova Glucose Meter Computer Based Training (if you plan on checking blood sugars). The same directions apply to your students.
Fill in the following information:
- First Name: Your first name
- Last Name: Your last name
- Department: Name of School
- Employee ID: Faculty or Student ID
- Hospital Name: PHSW
Complete the training and print out your Certificate of Completion.
Please bring a copy of the certificate to computer class.
- All Students/Instructors will be assigned their own barcode to use for the glucose meters at their scheduled computer class
- Students’ barcode will be valid until they graduate
- Instructor’s barcode will not expire
- Following computer class, Clinical Instructors must have students perform a high and low QC with the meter
· Please see Glucose Meter Instructions for more details
For those students/faculty who do not come through computer training: After completing the online training, go to the Education Department to pick up your barcode and further instructions. Clinical instructors may pick up the barcodes for all your students.
8. All faculty and students must show documentation of Influenza Vaccination during flu season. If you or a student needs to, they may fill out the declination form for our documentation.
9. Carry your clinical faculty passport at all times at all clinical sites.
10. Click on this link for your PeaceHealth Southwest Department Contact Information for Nursing Students in precepting/ capstone/senior experiences
11. At the end of each clinical rotation, faculty should have their students complete a Clinical Site Evaluation for PeaceHealth Southwest Medical Center.
If you have any questions, contact the clinical placement coordinators: